Sunday, November 6, 2011

Now it's time for MY view!!

From this series on the death penalty, I have learned a lot from a variety of cases either supporting or opposing capital punishment. I think after looking at a few different angles of the debate I can safely say I agree with the death penalty for some social concerns, but ultimately disapprove of it due to moral implications. Pataki makes a convincing case in citing various studies where it was concluded that the death penalty lowered crime rates due to a feeling of fear enstilled in potential criminals. I do believe that to some extent the death penalty creates fear in society and has a positive effect on regulating crime rates. However, ultimately I don't think this makes up for the moral tradeoff required to use this form of enforcing justice. I think that the death penalty creates serious moral concerns. 'An eye for an eye' philosophy is an immoral way to enforce justice as it only leads to more murder. Also, according to Maers it ultimately becomes a "life without parole" as many criminals spend 20+ years waiting on death row for their uncertain futures. I think this is just one of the ways that the death penalty would be considered cruel and unusual punishment prohibited by the Constitution. The photo demonstrates other ways this would be cruel as it is very restricting and the victim looks like he has no closure and peace as he faces death. Also, Maers brings to light how impractical capital punishment is in an economic viewpoint, and I don't think these numbers can lie. Overall, as I grow as an informed citizen I think the death penalty is impractical and morally wrong and should therefore not be allowed in the United States.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily--
    Well done. Consider, too, the ways in which your sources may be more current in this controversial topic; the picture is dated, yes?

    +20/20
    Mr. Heller

    ReplyDelete